Re: How to update old Firefox browser under Suse Linux?

  • Subject: Re: How to update old Firefox browser under Suse Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 10:10:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ Thorsten Meininger ] on Sunday 21 May 2006 10:03 \__

> Newer versions of Firefox have an self-auto-update function. They detect a
> newer version and can replace itself.
>
> Unfortunately I have an old v1.0.8. without auto-update. So I have to do it
> manually. I downloaded the current stable version firefox-1.5.0.3.tar.gz
> and extracted it to an own folder.
>
> Sorry for this newbie question: But how should I proceed?

If you want to override the older version. Then try:

make install (in the directory where it resides, although I suspect it's just
Java)

That said, if I recall correctly, you have firefox.bin, which runs Firefox
without a problem. However, there is also a graphical installer. Have you
looked at all the exectutable files in that directory?

Also consider putting the executable somewhere among the path of binaries,
e.g. /usr/bin

> Should I delete the old firefox installation at first?

It doesn't matter. You can have both. However, each will pull the settings
from ~/.firefox, so you don't want to do that. There will otherwise be
conflicts.

> Where are the old Firefox files located ?

I don't know where SuSE puts them by default (I use an older version that did
not have Firefox), but actually... I can check on a newer version of
SuSE.......

,----[ Quote ]
| roy@linux:~/> which firefox
| /usr/bin/firefox
`----

Aha! So that's where you should put Firefox to replace the old installation.

> If the new files overwrite the old ones: Which installation script do I
> have to start: run_mozilla.sh ?

I suggest that you back up the old installation before you do anything. Just
in case... same goes for ~/.firefox.

> I would expect a shell script with a name "install_firefox.sh" or something
> else.

I believe it should exist. It did exist in 1.0.x.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
 10:05am  up 23 days 16:44,  12 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.60, 0.46