Re: A 'Linux City' Finds Big Savings

  • Subject: Re: A 'Linux City' Finds Big Savings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 06:11:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Skeets ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 21:47 \__

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/features/index.cfm?featureID=2528&pagtype=samecatsamechan

>> "Schall says she's looking at possibly bringing in MySQL as the city's
>> first database. Even Kenosha's lone Windows server might be on its way
>> out. The server runs a handful of applications, including a proprietary
>> Housing Authority application"
>>
>> Their FIRST database?  Kenosha must be somewhere near the end of the
>> line!
>
> somebody tell her to at least review postgresql in depth before
> committing.  mysql may be better for them, but they'll want to *know*
> this and not just "do what everyone else has done."

The last time I heard of it, Postgresql was still a bit buggy (maybe lacking
some functions as well), yet tremendously faster under some circumstances.
*Tremendoudly* faster. Evidently, somebody else had nothing better to do on
a Saturday than quote mining and taking this off topic.

Another peril that stands in the way of wider Postgresql adoption are
LAMP-only applications that are only fit to use MySQL.

Also see:

http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/database/soa/Road_test_Four_databases_tested/0,39024547,39224962,00.htm

        MySQL is superior to databases from Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft.

http://news.com.com/Oracle+tried+to+buy+open-source+MySQL/2100-7344_3-6040197.html?tag=nefd.lede

        Oracle wanted to buy MySQL, but I believe they were refused.

http://www.computerpartner.nl/article.php?news=int&id=2804

        Sony chooses MySQL, dumps Oracle.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
  6:05am  up 23 days 13:02,  11 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.45, 0.52