Re: [News] Commercial Wikipedia from Microsoft?

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:56 \__

>> The Britannica-Wikipedia survey was said to be ill-conducted. It could
>> have been FUD -- even one that was supported under the table. The referees
>> were not accounting for article _scale_, which is often greater in
>> Wikipedia. They only counted inaccuracies and mistakes. Wikipedia had a
>> strong rebuttal, and mind you, they continue to improve all the time, as
>> more Wikipedians join the 'team' and technology (e.g. for moderation) is
>> improved by MediaWiki. Britannica, along with other commercially-motivated
>> teams, are fighting a losing battle. They are also less readily available.
>> My search bar in Firefox is Wikipedia.
>
> Yes, I see Wikipedia as another example of the power of open,
> collaborative development on par with efforts in the software
> world.  A commercial encyclopedia can die off and become
> outdated because of financial problems.  I doubt Wikipedia
> ever will.  Like open source software projects, it will
> continue to accrue improvements and evolve over time.
>
> Unfortunately, the proprietary content industries see
> community efforts like this as a direct challenge to their
> profits and will try to fight it by buying off politicians
> and passing draconian laws.  As citizens, we need to be

See the following story:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/28/apple_vs_does/

,----[ Quote ]
| However Apple has struck gold in finding a techno utopian in a state
| of rapture. Judge Rushing cites Wikipedia as a source, a mistake which
| earns students an 'F' grade today. He talks about the need to disregard
| economics and sociology in favor of a "memetic marketplace" - whatever
| that is - and allows himself some flights of technological rapture.
`----

What the 'F' is wrong with that?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
  2:55pm  up 33 days 21:27,  10 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.74, 0.88