Re: [News] Inquirer: Uncle Vista flip-flops towards the grave

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 28 May 2006 00:37:10 +0100
<1629921.nmSIMkB9xh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 26 May 2006 17:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
>> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 26 May 2006 15:09:29 +0100
>> <upejk3-aqq.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> On 26/05/2006 14:17, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

>>> "Paul Kedrosky?s Infectious Greed bog" ???
>>>
>>> Is that like a *really* big lavy you go to after you've eaten too much?
>>>
>>> That's *twice* in that article that he called it a "bog".
>>>
>>> Ah ... British humour; Yanks need not apply.
>>
>> I certainly wouldn't want to step into that.  :-)  At least not
>> without hip waders and a flotation device.
>>
>> (Sounds like Washington, DC, nowadays, only without the law-writing.)
>
> I didn't notice anything weird, but I probably stayed in 'the right part of
> town', so to speak. I vividly remember the banners in the tube (subways as
> you call them outside London) where an empty greyscale classroom is shown
> with some words demoting gun crime. Quite unnerving...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

I've been in the tube.  It's been awhile, though. :-)
And the Paris Metro.  This was back in 1974 when I was
a youngster (12 yo or so), so apart from the train being
red I don't remember a heck of a lot.

And I'm not even sure about that. :-)

In any event, the bog in Washington is more metaphysical
than actual, although there might be a marsh somewhere
around the Potomac.  (Maybe that's where they should look
for Jimmy Hoffa? :-) )

I should note that they are reputed to have a good subway
system in Washington, though.  I wish I could say the same
around here (I'm too far south for BART, though they might
be working on that).

And of course we're stuck with this government, at least
until 2007.  (2006 is when we have the elections but the
new Congress isn't sworn in until the start of next year.)
If the Democrats get into power, expect paralysis until
2009 or thereabouts.  If the Republicans stay in power,
expect more bogishness...

Dunno what Redmond, WA has for a subway...

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.