Re: basic optimisation and positioning - what to do ?

> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 07:43 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 00:22 \__

>>>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> The question is often *how*. Not many people can fetch these
>>> ethically... even exchanges don't contribute much to the Web.
>>>
>>> I guess I ended up ranting, again...
>>
>> Ok, then they should give an URL or at least a description of the
>> site, and maybe I can tell how.
>
> I think it remains hard, no matter what one does. Link exchanges are
> artificial and very time-consuming to get.

Time-consuming, yes. But if it was easy and cheap, then everybody would
have a shit load of links, and a PR of 9 and 100,000 visitors a day.

> There is also a
> chicken-and-egg situation, for generating word of mouth, much like
> newspapers that establish status _over time_.

Which is again a good thing.

> A few sites I can think of as helpful are the various geo-url's.
> Beyond this, if your site's content contributes to or extends some
> peripheral project, your link will be included because it is desirable
> and relevant. The latter is how I got started. It was important stream
> of a dozen visitors back in late 2004. The other useful step was
> subscription to content (e.g. via RSS), which brought visitors back. I
> don't know if that 'syndication wagon' is too later to catch up with
> now... many people /still/ don't use feeds.

Yup add a feed, and more over, make that feed known to services. All
time consuming, but you can't expect to have hands full of trafic
because you have a site.

--
John                  Freelance Perl programmer: http://castleamber.com/

Creating a customized Command Prompt shortcut:
               http://johnbokma.com/windows/command-prompt-shortcut.html