Re: [News] Wine Marks the Tipping Point for Linux Mass Adoption?

On 2006-05-30, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 07:53 \__
>
>> On 2006-05-30, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>> WINE - An open source project which could be the tipping point for wide
>>> scale adoption of Linux by the masses
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/05/wine-open-source-project-which-could.html
>>
>> It's not the first time that's been done, though. I forget the program
>> now, but there was a graphics package from a fairly well known company.
>> It was a download and install. It was nothing more than WINE running a
>> Windows binary.
>

> Are you thinking about FSpot on Mono (.NET)? Well, they don't have the
> publicity channels that Google have fortunately (for them) got. May be the
> same with Beagle vs. Google Desktop.

No, it wasn't FSpot. This was 5 or more years back. I used to see it
when tucows.linux was called linuxberg (or linuxburg, I forget). I
originally saw it available on freshmeat (where I downloaded and tried
it) and icewalkers. I just can't remember what the name was.

>> I recall there being others, too, though I'm even shorter on details
>> for those.
>>
>> I never was much interested in most of those anyway. I've always
>> preferred native if possible and proprietary if I have to (like IE).
>

> I do too. I gave Picasa a quick spin, browsing all the features and menus.
> But I still prefer Gwenview! Quicker, less bloated, and far more properly
> integrated. Picasa, much like these suites from HP /et al/ (scanning
> software in particular) remind me of what has happened to iTunes and other
> overly-bloated garbage that needs a 2GHz+ processor and many lumps of RAM.
> They should have embraced the plug-in methodology, much like AmaroK,
> WordPress, and Firefox. Unlike, for example......... PHP-Nuke.

I didn't bother with trying Picasa. I don't need to add another tool to
do what I can already do with others. Especially when I seldom do it
anyway.

> Picasa for Linux... proof of concept. Thanks for the 100+ Wine patches
> though.

Make it native and it'll be better. Though I doubt I'll ever have
enough need to bother getting it either way.

> Looking forward to a play with native Google Earth (it's OpenGL and
> QT-based),

I'll see when I see.

--
The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that
sex for money costs less.