Re: basic optimisation and positioning - what to do ?

__/ [ John Bokma ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 07:43 \__

>> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 00:22 \__

>>> Content and get links to your site.
>>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> The question is often *how*. Not many people can fetch these
>> ethically... even exchanges don't contribute much to the Web.
>>
>> I guess I ended up ranting, again...
>
> Ok, then they should give an URL or at least a description of the site,
> and maybe I can tell how.

I think it remains hard, no matter what one does. Link exchanges are
artificial and very time-consuming to get. There is also a chicken-and-egg
situation, for generating word of mouth, much like newspapers that establish
status _over time_.

A few sites I can think of as helpful are the various geo-url's. Beyond this,
if your site's content contributes to or extends some peripheral project,
your link will be included because it is desirable and relevant. The latter
is how I got started. It was important stream of a dozen visitors back in
late 2004. The other useful step was subscription to content (e.g. via RSS),
which brought visitors back. I don't know if that 'syndication wagon' is too
later to catch up with now... many people /still/ don't use feeds.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:50am  up 32 days 14:22,  8 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.19, 1.22