Re: SUSE Knowcks Vista Out

__/ [ NoNamer ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 08:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Get ready for the Vista/SUSE smackdown!
>>
>> On the one hand:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As unbelievable as it might seem, OpenSUSE actually seems to support
>> | more hardware than Vista does at this stage in its development. Linux
>> | having more hardware support than Windows -- who says we don't live in
>> | a time of miracles?!
>> `----
>>
>> And on the other hand:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Those who have looked in on the champ have not been impressed. An
>> | experienced MS-NBC reviewer, for example, said "Installing Vista Beta
>> | 2 was one of the worst operating system experiences that I've ever
>> | encountered."
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Those who have looked in on the champ have not been impressed. An
>> | experienced MS-NBC reviewer, for example, said "Installing Vista Beta 2
>> | was one of the worst operating system experiences that I've ever
>> | encountered."
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Instead of a haymaker, Aero Glass is looking more like a complete miss.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> `----
>>
>> It only goes downhill from there...
>>
>> http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5613250391.html
>
> I just now installed Vista Beta 2 on a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop (dual
> core, 2GB RAM, DVD writer)
>
> It recognized all hardware correctly, configured the screen resolution
> to the native LCD screen (1920x1200) and set apprpriate system
> defaults.
>
> The installation was far easier than XP which in itself is easy.  I
> just entered the beta product key and came back in 45 minutes and it
> was fully completed - no need to answer dialogs in the middle of the
> install.
>
> Anyways, it was a flawless installation for me on this laptop.  I'm
> just one data point however, I'm sure others have not had as good as
> luck as I have.
>
> The laptop has a "Designed for Windows XP - Windows Vista Capable"
> sticker on it.

The better test or challenge is that which involves hardware that is
oblivious to the underlying software (or vice versa, when I come to think of
it). Microsoft still has that advantage of vendor hand-in-glove cooperation.
It would not be difficult to tweak your laptop's hardware and stamp it "SUSE
10.1 compatible, 10,2-ready (early next year)"

> No mention of linux compatibility whatsoever.
>
> I've been enjoying Vista a lot - it really does have a lot of cool
> features and new things - too numerous to mention here, but maybe i'll
> do a blog at some point.
>
> I like XP a lot, but after seeing Vista and using it (using it now), it
> is sorta hard to go back to XP :)

Well, XP may be a step backwards (well, almost 5 years backwards), but you
must experiment with alternatives to broaden the scope of your assessment.

> The new media player really rox - and so does the new advanced firewall
> - damned cool stuff.

I have not been involved with the very /notion/ of firewall, ever. The
exception was customers. This reminds me of pow-pows over defrgamentation,
AV software, and other (un)necessities.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  9:00am  up 32 days 15:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.36, 0.70