Re: [News] SUSE Knowcks Vista Out

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 20:16 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Get ready for the Vista/SUSE smackdown!
>>
>> On the one hand:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| As unbelievable as it might seem, OpenSUSE actually seems to support
>>| more hardware than Vista does at this stage in its development. Linux
>>| having more hardware support than Windows -- who says we don't live in
>>| a time of miracles?!
>> `----
>>
>> And on the other hand:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Those who have looked in on the champ have not been impressed. An
>>| experienced MS-NBC reviewer, for example, said "Installing Vista Beta
>>| 2 was one of the worst operating system experiences that I've ever
>>| encountered."
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| Those who have looked in on the champ have not been impressed. An
>>| experienced MS-NBC reviewer, for example, said "Installing Vista Beta 2
>>| was one of the worst operating system experiences that I've ever
>>| encountered."
>>|

> And yet people still claim that Windows is easy to install...

...Those who never tried installing Linux or chose unfit/old distribution. Of
course, most just get a box with Windows pre-installed. So, to them, Windows
installation has _never required raising a finger_.

Others are less fortunate. When you come to think of it, maybe Vista's
hardware requierments will become a big win, to both vendors and Microsoft.
People will have to buy new machines, with Vista pre-installed. Upgrades
will be a pain and a Linux CD will deem more suitable. If the latter is the
options to be followed, the Vista hardware gamble will cost a great deal to
both OEM's and Microsoft. People will not need to upgrade for another 5
years.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:40am  up 33 days 10:12,  8 users,  load average: 1.41, 0.90, 0.81