Re: [News] Australian Government Still Sidles with OSS

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 19:47 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> NICTA mobilises open source with L4
>>
>> Dahna McConnachie, LinuxWorld
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Government funded research organization, National ICT Australia (NICTA),
>>| is demonstrating how its version of open source Iguana and the L4
>>| microkernel work in embedded mobile platforms at its annual technology
>>| expo in Sydney on Wednesday.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;710118083;fp;256;fpid;56736
>
> This is amazing!  I've not seen this kind of level of development and
> change in the technology world for nearly 20 years...  it's wonderful to
> see what happens when the iron grip of a monopolist is broken.

That's what they mean by governments that tailor a system for themselves,
rather than relying on third-parties that reside overseas. This brings more
employment to Australian IT professionals and put control (e.g. patch
frequency) at the hands of the government.

Excellent news and a fine example for other governments to use as a case
study.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  3:30am  up 33 days 10:02,  8 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.58, 0.85