Re: [News] Even Anti-Virus Software Cannot Protect 'that other O/S'

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ M ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 17:10 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Flaw Found in Symantec Corporate Antivirus
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060527/tc_nf/43580
>>
>> Another excellent reason for paying for Antivirus software when free ones
>> are available.
>
> But,  M,  some  people  don't know better. They buy  some  Dell  box  with
> pre-bundled  software and licences that soon run out and urge them to pay.
> That,  of course, is an example of a system which manipulates the customer
> rather  than offer his/her *control*. It's a marketing ploy, somewhat like
> these  printing  cartridges. To generalise, *any *commercial,  proprietary
> vendor  is  financially inclined to channelling a cusomer without  his/her
> awareness,  e.g. DRM. This is among the raison d'Ãtre for free open source
> software.

Depressingly true. A friend of my other keeps asking if she should this or
that security software from PC World. I keep saying no, go and download it
of the internet for nothing. She is certainly one who doesn't know any
better.

> We may be missing the main point in this discussion. A broken, closed-sou-
> rce O/S cannot be fixed, even  with third-party software which  is costly.
> If you want a reliable zeppelin , get one which is in tact.  Don't rely on
> patches and plasters.

I think that the closed-source OS could be fixed if they where willing to
start with a clean sheet of paper or base the OS on something that already
existed and was known to be secure. They would probable have to abandon a
good deal of backwards compatibility, if not all. In spite of all the
adverse publicity, this course of action thus far doesn't seem to have a
commercial imperative. I guess Automatic Windows Update, and the 3rd Party
Security Software give the perception that everything that can be done is
being done, even if that is not the case.

Education on Open Source Software could however change the landscape. I
think that is already happening.

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home