Re: What the hell is this? A group newsfeed?

__/ [ RMK ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 11:56 \__

> Did someone ask for random news links to be dumped into the group?  If so,
> would that person speak up?

Over time, several people suggested that I carry on doing so. I think that,
all in all, it elevates the relevance of the discussions and deters cyclic
arguments in old(er) threads by moving onwards to new topics.

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 17:28 \__

> I didn't ask for it, but I like it. It is, after all, advocating Linux.

*smile*

__/ [ asj ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 18:22 \__

> i think it's a good idea...what you basically get is content that has
> been filtered by a human being so the results are more relevant and
> interesting than googling for it.

What I find intersting is that threads that make no mentioning of
Windows/Microsoft get no follow-ups. That said, the Google Groups
description for this forum was something along the lines of "advantage of
Linux over /other/ operating systems", so I guess it's all on-topic.

By the way, I found another COLA(nnounce) today. Rather odd...

http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/Charter.txt

What's worth mentioning is that COLA gets more positive mentions and it even
reached Digg in the past. There is information and ideas to be found here
that were not expressed elsewhere.

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 17:24 \__

> Killfile on [News] if it bothers you. That's why it's there.

Yes, Tim Smith made the suggestion. He still reads these, so maybe he uses
scoring rather than 'fatal' filters.

__/ [ Marshall ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 18:59 \__

> It sure beats reading a dozen threads by people arguing over the same
> thing a thousand times.

I believe started this because I got rather frustrated seeing recurring
arguments, troll-feeding, parroting, cursing, poor subject lines (reflecting
badly on content/body, or even Linux). At several points I considered
unsubscribing.

> So in that case I'd ask that it continue.

Thanks, folks! I appreciate it _a lot_.