Re: [News] Europe Says "No" to Software Patents

  • Subject: Re: [News] Europe Says "No" to Software Patents
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:54:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 05:26 \__
>
>> Roy Culley wrote:

>>>   The Commission said last week that computer programs will
>>>   be excluded from patentability in the upcoming Community
>>>   Patent legislation and that the European Patent Office
>>>   will be bound by this law.
>>>
>>> Wow, I missed this one. If true it is fantastic news. So
>>> much MS money down the drain. :-)
>>
>> Sounds like a way for them to end frivolous lawsuits, which
>> other laws like copyright cover.
>>
>> Time to feed the sharks - FUD - FUD - FUD - Vista - Microsoft
>> - Windows - Samba .... (drops chum bucket overboard)
>>
>> Now they have something to Google.
>
> IP has been a big issue and often a reason for hesitance in embedded devices.
> Despite that, Linux grew steadily in the area. No more will this growth be
> linear.

This is very good for European software and device companies.  I expect
that the Asia-Pac countries will probably follow this lead, as it makes
so much sense to do so.  The likely result is that the Nafta zone will
suffer, scream, threaten, etc., until they finally have to fall into
line.

Something like this could conceivably end the Nafta agreement, I think.

I'm a fuschia bowling ball somewhere in Brittany