Re: Free Information Free Software and Revolution

__/ [ NoStop ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 15:13 \__

> Back in 2002 Venezuela adopted an official policy that exclusively calls
> for the use of open source software in that government.
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-08-30-011-26-NW-LL-PB

They should encourage the use of _free_ open source in governments. Open
Source is a deceiving term.

> Dr. Felipe Pérez-Martí, Planning and Development Minister explains how open
> source software can further the revolution in an article yesterday:
>
> http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=10336
>

> Microsoft has been unable to cope with Open Source except to complain about
> it.

"Complain" is too subtle a word, in my honest opinion. The "we don't like it,
so it's illegal" mentality -- that which compares it to cancer -- is not as
bad as lies (FUD). In the former case. you express a view and, in the latter
, you twist actual factual truths, which baffles people. Anyone who cares
would find this attitude insulting,

> http://tinyurl.com/mpoy2
>
> View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
> http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

There are alsoo tons of free ones on kde-look.org and gnome-look.org .  KDE
integrated with the Web to bring you (almost) infinitely many wallpapers
without needing to browse (the Net).