Re: [News] Google Software for Linux: Picasa Goes First

__/ [ wd ] on Saturday 27 May 2006 18:37 \__

> On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:27:11 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> wd <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/RedEye2/
>>>

>> I agree - I'd rather see open solutions.  I don't expect google to be
>> offering any, though.
>
> I bet Google would like it if Linux users started getting addicted to that
> proprietary crap.  To me, it sounds like bad news that more unnecessary
> proprietary software is being released for Linux. (To be fair, the good
> news is that Google are working on WINE.)

Yes, they submitted 100+ patches in the process, so everyone benefits. If you
don't want proprietary software on Linux, you will still have your choice.
That said, while choice is good, proprietary could steal the userbase that
contributes to software such as The GIMP.

To a SOA-reliant company, a mass-migration to Linux will not at all be
damanging. In fact, this would weaken its main rival, so rest asssuered they
will treat us well.

> It is best if people use truly FOSS applications.

Xara extreme has just turned 0.5:

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
 11:45am  up 30 days 18:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.97, 1.13, 1.10