Re: [News] Security Goes in Favour of Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Security Goes in Favour of Linux
  • From: Sinister Midget <sinister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:14:31 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2006-05-27, Mathew P. <Mathew@xxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:

> On 2006-05-25, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> Small Security Risk Still Big Selling Point for Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Even companies hawking Linux antivirus products acknowledge that
>>| the operating system doesn't suffer from many security woes at this
>>| point. "Our product is more used to filtering Windows viruses than
>>| actual Linux viruses," said Ron O'Brien, an analyst at Sophos, a
>>| security firm in Abingdon, England.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/50724.html
>
> Just wondering; are there any Linux viruses out there? Can anyone
> give me an example and info? And if so, have any of them ever been
> consistently successful given the assumption of proper user habits?
>
> I know that there have been limited exploits in particular daemons
> and servers that have been discovered and fixed fairly quickly, and
> of course the infamous root kit, but I refer here to actual attacks
> by malware; viruses, trojans, etc.

There have been a few worms, all dying relatively quickly. I don't
recall any viruses.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.lion.worm.html

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.slapper.worm.html

http://service1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/Linux.Ramen.Worm.html

http://news.com.com/New+worm+targets+Linux+systems/2100-7349_3-5938475.html

There's one or two others that I can't recall.

Note that this is different than not recalling them in Windows. You can
fail to remember all of them on that platofmr because they're so many.
But you may fail to recall them on linux because they're few and far
between.

The most any of those got was insignificant in number. I can't remember
exactly, but I seem to recall one of them hit 3000+ servers, with the
plus being something less than an additional 500.

It hasn't had suffcient enough payoff in linux for people to bother
trying mass infections. So why target it?

Oops, I did it again. I mentioned Windows in a post about linux.
That'll mean this one won't be counted when Erik wants to search for
and score my advocacy posts.

Darn, I did it again! Windows again *and* Erik. It'll be excluded 3
times now.

Aw, shucks, make that 5 times.

--
Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer
sex raises some pretty good questions.