Re: [News] The Impact of Linux and OSS on Education, Textbooks

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Toss The Traditional Textbook
>
> Open source education resources can replace stale old volumes.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open source content, or material freely contributed and given away,
>| is best known to software engineers through operating systems such
>| as Linux and to the nongeeky rest of us through the online
>| encyclopedia Wikipedia.
> `----
>
> http://www.edutopia.org/magazine/ed1article.php?id=art_1649&issue=oct_06
>
> The $100 Linux laptop will deliver Wikipedia content, unless plans have
> changed.

The potential for OLPC to change the world is barely comprehended,
particularly as it's so often fudded by people here who'd like to claim
that having a posh pair of shoes is more important than access to
information.  There was an interesting piece on Ceefax today showing
that Doctors here are improving diagnoses by using google to look up
more obscure things.  I'm slightly surprised that they've managed to
overcome their innate fear of the net to do this, but also pleased.

Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!