Re: [News] Computer Science Discipline Turns to Collaboration

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Start Using Bigger Words: MIT declares it's now "Web Science"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Time to start using more double negatives and longer words, because what
>| we do is now a formal academic discipline to be henceforth referred to
>| as none other than the not unsavory, yet somewhat ambiguous token
>| "Web Science".
> `----
>
> http://www.threadwatch.org/node/9801
>
> The Web operates like Open Source software and the two benefit one another
> reciprocally.
>
> It is the transition to Open sciences that recognises the importance of the
> Web. 'Dinosaur' computers did not have these key notions and they never
> learned to cope with them (for example consider where Windows stands in
> network security).
>
> Education, much in line with industry's needs, evolves. Last week I read
> about Open Source degrees and courses as well. Brace yourselves for change.

One of the interesting problems is how big these machines are, thus, how
challenging the are to understand.  There are very few people who can
draw out a complete telecoms network, showing how it all works,
including out to the CPE (be it a phone or a computer), across to
whatever peering "server" the CPE might be engaged in communications
with.  There are even fewer people who understand the economics of such
things.

Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!