Re: Vista is slow at 3D rendering

  • Subject: Re: Vista is slow at 3D rendering
  • From: "NoNamer" <grug2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Nov 2006 18:26:25 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Tuesday 07 November 2006 16:47 \__
>
> > Test renders using Blender 2.42a show Vista to be a resource hog.
> >
> > Test render, average of three renders for each platform,
> >
> > Fedora Core 6 Linux   13m 09s
> > Windows 2000                  13m 37s
> > Vista RC1                     14m 09s
> >
> > Shuttle PC, AMD Barton 2500+ 1 Gb ram with a Vista performance rating of
> > 2.8
> >
> > I would have hoped Vista would be at least as fast as Windows 2000.
> > Where have all those years of development gone?
>
> That's only about 5% slower, which is impressive. Other benchmarks are more
> pessimistic.
>
> Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

For DirectX 9.x titles - let's wait and see.  Vista just RMTed and you
have no benchmarks *at all* to back up your claim.

For DirectX10 titles - you are going to see *huge* improvements in
performance due to the way DirectX10 has implemented the API (super
quick state changes, state buffers, rotating constant buffers, etc.).

OpenGL won't be able to touch the performance of a DX10 application -
and this will leave Linux even further behind than it already is for 3D
gaming (which isn't saying much given the Linux desktop share is so
dismal and gaming is even more dismal under Linux).

XP has had 5-6 years of refinement - Vista isn't even OUT yet.

Let's wait for some real benchmarks.  Also, most Vista drivers are
still in beta as well.  Once the manufacturers are being benched on
Tomshardware and the such - they will pay MUCH more attention to their
driver performance under Vista.

In other words:  Vista performance is going to get better and better
*real* fast than the RC1 releases would otherwise indicate.

But - I'm sure you'd love to distort the truth as much as you can;
doesn't really matter though - Vista already has more marketshare on
the desktop than Linux does lol - and it's not even released yet to the
public.