Re: Practically zero iPods Converted to Linux

  • Subject: Re: Practically zero iPods Converted to Linux
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 8 Nov 2006 06:55:21 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hadron Quark wrote:
> "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> Liberating iPods in Cambridge
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]

> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/2146245&from=rss
> >

> > Perhaps it's time that you GROW UP and stop being a pathetic little
> > liar with your faux "News" titles. Absolutely nothing was converted to
> > Linux "En Masse" but you already knew that.
> >

> > <quote>
> > With nearly 70 million iPods and more than a billion iTunes songs
> > sold...
> >
> > A definitive tally of iPods liberated proved evasive, but it was more
> > than 40.
> > </quote>
> >

> > For the sake of argument I'll assume that the 40 figure is off by an
> > order of magnitude. Let's say that a whopping '400' iPods were
> > converted.
> >
> > Wow... that's a whole 0.0000571% percent of iPods that were converted.
> > Effectively zero.
> >

> I made the mistake of believing the screenshots and the advocacy for
> Linux running on an ipaq 2750. Painful isnt the word. Only after
> shagging up my entire machine did the smallprint become largeprint - you
> know with things like "light doesnt work", "save doesnt work", "sync
> works after doing <insert 200 bash lines>" "input crashes at random
> times" etc etc etc. Another half assed discontinued project from what I
> can gather.

The overwhelming majority of people who buy an iPod are VERY happy with
them. Apple typically puts a great deal of effort and thought into
their user interfaces and making the software/device very
people-friendly.

Most iPod owners don't give a rats ass about DRM either. Apple and
iTunes is very fair with their policies and the majority of iPod users
aren't even aware that DRM is being used... let alone understand what
it is. (Just like most people who own DVD players don't realize that
the movies they watch are encrypted.)  Few iPod owners are going to
risk 'bricking' their iPod to get a lesser UI. The iPod is a
overwhelming success the way it is.