Re: Debian Etch

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Tuesday 07 November 2006 02:50 \__

> Is absolutely beautiful. First time using a Linux with a package manager
> other than Slackware's pkgtools since Mandrake 9 I think) and it's just
> awesome to watch. Simple, powerful, and everything seems to Just Work.
>
> Kudos to the Debian team.
>
> My scripts from Slack seem to need some tweaking in order to work
> though.

I have been wondering for a while what advantages, if any, there are to
choosing Debian over Ubuntu? I mean, sure, Ubuntu still depends on Debian
(like choosing a daughter over her mother) and millions of people are
already accustomed to and happy with Debian (Kerala, Munich and other
countries/governments use Debain as the seminal codebase).

To someone who moves to the 'Debian camp' from, e.g. the Slackware, Red Hat,
or SUSE branch, will it be worth choosing Debian over Ubuntu? What about
other Debian derivatives such as ELive? Even MEPIS is now based on Ubuntu,
having given up on Debian.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
Tasks: 135 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie