Re: Look, Erik! KDE3.5 runs fine in just 128MB of RAM!

__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Monday 06 November 2006 20:34 \__

> ... with three apps open, and there's even a few megs of memory left :-)
>
> http://www.linetec.nl/unrel/KDE3_in_128MB.png
>
> Can Vista do this trick?
>
> So there you have it, the latest Linux reviving ye olde lappetoppe:
> Mandriva 2007 Free with a fully functional KDE 3.5 desktop environment,
> happily chugging along on a Toshiba Satellite 2550CDT, with a 366MHz
> Celeron CPU, 128MB of RAM (the maximum amount, alas), and an 800x600 TFT
> screen.
>
> Installation took just over an hour, and there were a a few quirks - no
> ACPI, and for some reason the maestro sound module wasn't included in the
> distribution - but for all the rest, everything worked first go. Nope,
> it's not the fastest horse in the race, but it's workable all the same.
>
> So yes, I was right after all, when I said that an old machine with 128MB
> of memory could run the latest KDE's in a useable manner ...
>
> Ah well, now I've got the little workshop machine I wanted for quite
> some time - and I got it for free, as a terminally virus ridden and
> Registry-bloated XP (former W98) beastie that wouldn't even start any more.
> But with just an hour and a half of proper care and attention (i.e. Linux
> install CD's), it's up and running again, just great for looking up PDF
> electronics datasheets, ordering stuff, handling my database front end,
> and many more simple tasks :-)
>
> Richard Rasker

I quite like this one...

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/10/the_unknown_sol.html

"Some will interpret a call for peace as a sign of weakness. Well, you're
free to try. I still got a few nukes ready to fire. I did install SuSE 7.3
on a Dyme 166 MHz machine with 32 MB installed and I used KDE 2.2 from July
2003 to December 2004 to write my documents, develop my compiler and browse
the web."

It's Jim R. who pointed this out initially.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S