Re: [News] Motorola Dives Deeper into OSS with Apache/Linux

__/ [ 7 ] on Monday 06 November 2006 20:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Motorola speeds open source momentum with Apache
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Apache makes the Linux-based web server that dominates the internet
>> | world, and last summer Nokia promised to bring this technology to
>> | the mobile phone. Together with Motorola's decision to choose
>> | Apache's particular process for making mobile Java fully open
>> | source, this sees Apache hopeful of the same pivotal position
>> | in mobile internet that it has in the PC-based web.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/06/motorola_os_increase/
>

> I still cannot believe how the dumb fsckies in the mobile
> world are still allowed to hang on to their mobile OS
> technologies preventing access to third parties.
>
> I have seen and heard of separating out mobile phone OS
> and selling just the modems so that clients can build their
> own mobile phones - in various incomplete guises however.
>
> It should be criminal to own the handset, OS and
> air bandwidth technology by one vendor.
> The whole system should be opened up like with PCs and ISPs
> so that system integrators, OS vendors, application vendors
> and bandwidth providers are all separate competing for each
> segment of the market to the benefit of the consumer.
>
> The current markets are stagnant with high access costs, low
> features on hardware, inferior products, and dammed insecure
> products.
>
> I have seen dumbos listening to 'downloaded' music on their handsets when
> in fact radios are free and more portable and lighter weight.
>
> I have seen dumbos watching TV on their mobile
> when in fact I have an LCD television about the size of a handset
> to watch with freely.
>
> I have seen both those activities reported on TV by journalists
> that were born yesterday and have never walked into
> an electronics store to see what else they can purchase today
> as a comparison.

Good post. The point that you make is that rather than customers making
decisions, they are tied to products chosen by one single integrator. Rather
than the best solution winning over, it's all about which executive had
dinner with whom in order to nail down a deal (see today's news:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6132707.html ). This leads to monopolies
through corruption and misinterpretation of acceptable marketplace practice.
Monopolies lead to lockins, which is turn result in bad service and
overpriced products. The embedded market has fortunately not reached that
stage yet. Linux will, according to studies, dominate that market; but it's
open to choice and open standards-based, so it's not a true monopoly. It's a
benevolent coexistence of Open Source, be it Linux or something else. They
communicate, not snub/hide/hinder/sabotage.

I had a chance to play with the Archos in Dixon's last week. Very nice. It
does so much, it's portable, and it is not tied to a network. The series
runs Linux by the way, but you probably already know that. You seem to take
interest in the embedded field, which is apparently what you do in your
daytime job.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
roy      pts/5                         Mon Nov  6 18:12 - 18:12  (00:00)