Re: [News] Open Addict: Boycott Novell

JPB <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
> As I understand it from the details that have been disclosed, as well as
> various other arrangements that Novell will be paying royalties to
> Microsoft, related to their open-source revenue. That looks like licensing,
> to me, and expressing it in language describing it as a "covenant not to
> sue" rather than an explicit license, perhaps specifically to try and
> circumvent the GPL, which seems nothing but sophistry. It also conveniently
> avoids any need to actually state what patents these might be or what they
> might cover, or if there actually are any at all which might be meaningful.

The only problem with this is...
Is it GPL'd software that Novell has signed against suage? Or one of the
other licenses? Or the proprietory software they supply with their SLED or
server distributions? We've only seen a press release by microsoft so far,
haven't we? Designed to generate FUD.

We've got no idea what was actually IN the agreement yet.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|