Re: Websense launches threat prevention tool

  • Subject: Re: Websense launches threat prevention tool
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:30:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 05 November 2006 05:14 \__

http://www.extremenano.com/article/Websense+Launches+New+Threat+Prevention+Tool/192825_1.aspx

> This kind of approach could provide a useful route to network protection
> in the future, although the most urgent and important thing is to get
> Windows off the internet!

Definitely. One of my site got clogged up at 2AM last night. That Windows
zombies spewage overfilled my account, which soon exceeded its quota. I
don't know if mail was merely queued or even bounced (READ: lost). I will
not need to pay in order to prevent this from happening again. I don't touch
Windows and yet it's costing us all a lot of money. And I mean, _directly_,
not through taxation (e.g. BBC, NHS).

This whole SPAM issue (Windows zombies to blame) is increasing at non-linear
rates. It seems to double in volume every couple of months. The big iron
servers are paralysed for like 15 minutes (load average at about 10)
whenever I run my filters. It's unacceptable from many perspectives and we
shouldn't just accept it as a necessary and inevitable malice.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
Mem:    514480k total,   486136k used,    28344k free,     4512k buffers