Re: [News] Open Addict: Boycott Novell

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 05 November 2006 04:52 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Now, more than ever, we need the Free Software Foundation
>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>>> http://www.openaddict.com/comment.php?comment.news.227
>>
>>> It might be the first among something larger that will evolve to become a
>>> trend.
>>
>> How the heck are they "in violation of the GPL"?
>>
>> The GPL has no clauses restricting who you can sign deals with. Microsoft
>> is quite free to use, distribute and rerelease GPL'd software itself... In
>> fact, I've heard they do, occasionally, to a limited extent.
>>
>> So apart from the foolhardiness of actually signing a deal with
>> microsoft... What breakage of the GPL have they committed?
>
> There's nothing obvious to me.  What concerned me was some FUD-based
> deal about "not suing for IPR" or something like that.  This seems to be
> more around finding a replacement for the clearly defunct SCO case in
> terms of finding something the lawyers can be scared of.  As several
> people have noted, it's amazing that after the last set of deals Novell
> did with Microsoft that they'd even /consider/ doing another one, but
> there we go.

[Modest proposal with caution and that presumption that there's nothing
beyond what meets the eye:]

At the moment I just think that I want someone to fork Opensuse and strip all
the Novell trademarks. Sort of like Oracle and Red Hat, but this time in the
name freedom (and independence from Microsoft). Nothing to do with
extinguishing through cost, but rather making use of volunteer's work
(community). Don't let the distro rot, so to speak. People including myself
have helped Novell, SUSE and their customer over the years, so we feel
beyrayed. We thought we helped build something better. I wonder what houghi
think about all of these. The folks in the opensuse mailing lists are
unhappy (sometimes furious) at those who "threaten to choose [A-z]buntu".
It's their job (at least many of them are fighting for clearance).

I'd like to believe PK has outsmarted all of us! At the moment I just wait
and watch. Others have spontaneously wiped SUSE off their servers and
workstations.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
roy      pts/0        cg001a.halls.man Sun Nov  5 08:26   still logged in