Re: Ubuntu-Vista Comparison

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Ubuntu Edgy Eft vs Microsoft Windows Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There is no conclusion. I know that if I try to write one, I will
> | tell you Vista is worthless and Ubuntu is software nirvana. Therefore,
> | make up your own minds instead of being mindless un-opinionated
> | Vogons.
> `----
> http://everythingelse.wordpress.com/2006/11/03/ubuntu-edgy-eft-vs-microsoft-windows-vista/

This one is a must read.  He did say Windows has a better photo
manager.  Looks like the Linux communitty may have a project here, or
there might be a market for some commercial versions for Linux.

Ubuntu could be very popular among those who suddenly discover that,
for whatever reason, their Vista license has been revoked and Vista has
been deactivated.

I noticed he only quoted the lowest MSRP for Vista $399.  Ultimate is
about $200 more.

Sure, the OEM licenses will come even cheaper, but then you won't be
able to harass Microsoft directly, and your support is limited to
calling the OEM who MIGHT eventually referr you to Microsoft.  In
effect, the "free professional support" is only available if you
purchase a full version at around MSRP.

> Another Linux distro has emerged:
>
> Absolute OS 11.0.2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Absolute OS is a fast Slackware derivative Linux distribution that
> | uses a Icewm and ROX-Filer window/file manager combination. It
> | comes with Firefox, The GIMP, MPlayer, K3B, Azureus, Gaim, Frostwire,
> | Gftp, StarDict, and many other titles all set up and ready to run.
> `----
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/absolute-os/?branch_id=66865&release_id=240189

Looks like this is another popular one for those machines that are too
old  or too small to run Windows XP, and possibly even Windows 2000.
There are still a lot of NT, 9x, and Win2K machines out there, and most
of them could end up becoming Linux machines.  Absolute looks like it
might be a good candidate for those machines.

Microsoft doesn't care.  They got their money from the OEMs, and again
from the corporate customers, and they are not likely to be real eager
to trot out a copy of Windows 9x for these antiques.  But they are
still fully functional computers and can run Slackware, FreeBSD, and
even SUSE or Red Hat Linux with the more "light weight" desktops and
Window managers.

It's a niche market, but it can be a pretty big niche.  There are over
2 billion people in China, and 1 billion people in India.  Many are now
looking at Linux powered computers as a path to economic opportunity.
There are quite a few organizations, including some OEMs, who ship
lease-return computers to India, China, Africa, and South America.
India already speaks English.  Several countries in Africa are making
American-style "English" their national language or a required second
language, and there are enough spanish speaking people in the united
states, that South America can quickly access international markets.

Gross Domestic Product growth in the US isn't great, but Gross Global
Product - the value of goods and services around the world, has been
growing at about three times the rate of "western" countries.  Which
means that instead of millions starving to death or living on charity,
they are now able to be productive members of society and sell their
goods to expanding global markets, making it possible to buy food and
fuel, for heat and cooking.

This has resulted in less violence and warefare in the countries that
have taken these policies to become responsible productive members of
the global community.

Linux is beginning to have a key role in in this global transformation.
 The machines Microsoft is no longer willing to support, have become a
source of economic opportunity because Linux DOES support these
efforts.  Red Hat pioneered these efforts almost 10 years ago, and
today supports the transformation of over 10 million "lease return"
computers every year.