Re: [News] Linux Market Share Uncountable, But Apple Up to 5.21%, Growth Rates Accelerate

begin  oe_protect.scr
[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
> > On 2006-11-02, yttrx <yttrx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Any coffeeshop you walk into in manhattan, you'll see more than 80%
> >> of the people with laptops using OSX, and in certain neighborhoods
> >> even more than that.
>
> > A limited sample that is the very definition of statistical skew.
>
> I've yet to see a Mac in the wild (anywhere but in a shop) in my
> travels around the UK, running OSX or anything else. I've seen a fair
> number of Linux machines though, and in particular the adoption of
> Ubuntu is staggering.

Well, my No1 lad's got a Mac, as have my parents-in-law (they got sick of
Windows slowing down and collapsing on them).  The head of my school
uses a Mac laptop all the time.  I came out of a meeting on Monday where
one guy was using a Mac laptop.  My No1 lad's teacher uses a Mac.  A few
years back, Macs had almost disappeared, but they're back in the public
consciousnous.  I don't see anyone being particularly interested in
Vista.

Ubuntu is growing like crazy, I'll agree, and I think it will be the big
catalyst for cracking the MS desktop monopoly, although as I've said
elsewhere, I think this will go hand in hand with the desktop itself
fragmenting into multiple smaller markets.

> On my last contract overseas I did see some American guy with a Mac
> laptop (some small silver thing with a glowing Blue apple on the lid),
> and that was actually the first time I'd ever seen one without a price
> tag on it.

I'm seeing more and more of them.

You can prove anything by mentioning another computer language.  :-)

             -- Larry Wall in <199706242038.NAA29853@xxxxxxxx>