[News] The Snag About Windows/Office 'Upgrades'

Microsoft's 'Integration-Oriented Architecture'

,----[ Quote ]
| A personal note: I just upgraded from Office 97 over Windows 98 to
| Office 2003 over Windows XP. As a result, my anxiety about crashes
| has diminished, and a few things work a little better. All in all,
| however, I'm not even 1 percent more productive.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/mia/index.php/2006/11/13/microsofts-integration-oriented-architecture/

the article speaks about integration, which is a form of lockin that even
viral (e.g. Sharepoint). It can be worse (more harmful to customers) than
the prebundle or embrace-and-extend strategies because they create enormous
exit barriers (cost/skill/dependence).