Re: Network Effects and Operating Systems

Daveman750 wrote:

> I am not advocating 'one size fits all'. ÂI am advocating 'one size
> fits most'. ÂUsers with special needs that are willing to deal with the
> hassles that I outlined in my original post can use a different distro.
> However, the needs of the masses of home/office users would be much
> better met with more standardization.
>
> Another concept of economics: ÂRational ignorance. ÂAt some point,
> while a person may benefit from becoming more informed about a topic,
> the cost (monetary or otherwise) of acquiring that information can
> exceed the potential benefit. ÂIn these cases, it is better to remain
> ignorant of the details and alternatives and just use the 'one size
> fits all' solution.

You totally miss the point. We are at the beginning of a revolution. The
beginning of a revolution is always chaotic.

In time however, things will settle down. Linux will become a few major
distributions which are all compatible with each other. The special
interest distributions will still exist, but they will be very much niche
products.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. The fun is just starting.

Ian