Re: [News] ATM's That Crash and Have "Critical" Vulnerabilities

On 2006-11-17, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:45:57 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

> Further, it's not really important if the ATM is running SP2 or not if it's
> only connected to a secure internal network.  And an RTOS is not needed for
> the simple tasks of an ATM.  You need an RTOS if you need real-time
> support, and nothing in an ATM is real-time.

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article.php?id=4172

   The ATM is going to be around for a long time. In the future, there
   will be more of them connected to the Internet, and they will know
   who you are when you get there. And you won?t need a card to access
   the ATM. They?ll be friendlier, easier and safer to use - these are
   traits ATM manufacturers are always improving upon.

The "future" is now wrt the date on the article. Whether we've reached
*the* future or not is an open question. If it's done using Winders,
it's going to be problematic, so I doubt we're there in large numbers
yet.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60497,00.html

   "What Microsoft actually sells to the banks for ATM use is a
   cut-down version of Windows that doesn't contain things like Web
   servers," said Ross Anderson, a researcher in Cambridge, England,
   and author of Security Engineering. "They have tried to cut out the
   unnecessary rubbish that clutters up the typical PC. How good a job
   they've done, I just don't know.... So we definitely can't rule out
   the possibility that someone in the future writes a Slammer-style
   worm that causes thousands of ATMs to start spewing out cash."

   But one of Anderson's colleagues, Bruce Schneier, chief technology
   officer at security monitoring and consulting company Counterpane
   Internet Security, dismissed this scenario. He pointed out that the
   machines would not operate online and therefore would not become
   vulnerable to a malicious Internet attack or to some virus passed
   around in an e-mail attachment. Because the machines have no
   peripherals like floppy disks, it would be difficult for a cracker
   to install code or steal information.

The guy from Diebold in the first link seems to disagree with the idea
of them not being connected to the internet. I think I'd take his word
for it over some clown at a consulting firm.

http://taint.org/2003/01/26/154359a.html

   Boing Boing notes that the SQL Slammer worm ?caused service outages
   at tens of thousands of Bank of America ATMs and wreaked havoc at
   Continental Airlines. Apparently, customers at most of the #3
   American bank?s 13,000 automatic teller machines were unable to
   process transactions for a period of time.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Teller_Machine

   Physical connections

   ATMs typically connect directly to their ATM Transaction Processor
   via either a dial-up modem over a telephone line or directly via a
   leased line. Leased lines are preferable to POTS lines because they
   require less time to establish a connection. Leased lines may be
   comparatively expensive to operate versus a POTS line, meaning
   less-trafficked machines will usually rely on a dial-up modem. That
                                                                  /\/\
   dilemma may be solved as high-speed Internet VPN connections become
   /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
   more ubiquitous.  Common lower-level layer communication protocols
   /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
   used by ATMs to communicate back to the Bank include SNA over SDLC,
   TC500 over Async, X.25, and TCP/IP over Ethernet.

I don't think we're going to see announcements about companies
connecting their ATMs to the internet while using Winders. So I think
I'll sit this one out until after lots of damage is done and the owners
of the machines wise up. Let others suffer their ill fates. My money
and personal information won't be passing through ATMs in the near
future.

--
Microsoft's relationship to its users is that of the blue whale to
krill. Our only purpose is to breed, feed and get squeezed against its