Re: [News] Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) Reviewed

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mareeba
<mareeba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:35:52 GMT
<YQ47h.1689$k74.924@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Review of Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft is an excellent Linux desktop that's very
>> | polished and stable. Hardware detection is excellent and installing
>> | software is a breeze with the Synaptic package manager. If you're
>> | looking for a distro that "just works", give Edgy Eft a try. You'll
>> | like it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.openaddict.com/page.php?26.3
>

> Edgy Eft is about the best Linux distro to date (for desktop usage). It
> is sadly made unusable by awful fonts (a problem all Linux systems have
> due to freetype using autohinter). If any distro ever gets the font
> issue sorted then Linux may start to make some real progress on the desktop.

Put the blame where blame's due: on either the X server,
the font makers, or the GUI repackagers.  Unless you're
actively using console fonts (which is possible but
unlikely), Linux has very little to do with the actual
fonting.

Of course all of one's font problems may very well be
solved by going to Microsoft Windows Vista, The OS That
Can Do Just About Everything(tm).  Granted, one might
have a few other little difficulties, such as malware,
random behavior, and memory leaks...but that's a detail.

In any event, Vista Is The Future(tm).  (Which makes me
wonder.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."