Re: [News] Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right
  • From: Johan Lindquist <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:11:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
So anyway, it was like, 09:48 CET Nov 15 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:18:55 +0100, Johan Lindquist wrote:
>> So anyway, it was like, 19:18 CET Nov 14 2006, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
>> Erik Funkenbusch was all like, "Dude,

>>> One thing that pisses me off with the linux filesystem is that
>>> there's no way to assign a label to a path. Sure, you can create a
>>> symlink to ito somwhere, like your home directory, but you can't
>>> assign a global label. Windows has mappable drive letters, AmigaOS
>>> had labels, etc...
>>
>> Did you just make the cumbersome drive lettering method that ms
>> windows uses out to be a /feature/? Something that other operating
>> systems should actually aspire to emulate? That's an.. interesting
>> notion.
>
> Yes. Why?

Because it's a limiting scheme, with potential problems arising from
administrators using drive letters that might be used by internal
drives on some systems, to name but one snag.

> Have you ever seen Windows used in a corporate environment?

Why, yes I have. Have you? Some place were you yourself weren't
brought in to do the setup, I mean?

> They all talk about their H: Drive, or their Z: Drive, despite the
> fact that they can access those files via \\computer\share, they use
> H: or Z: instead. Why? Because it's simple, and easy to remember.

People have been trained for decades to use the drive lettering method
of enumerating drives, that's why it's "simple". It's not that mapping
a certain shared resource to a single letter somehow makes sense, or
is in any way inherently logical.

It would be just as easy to remember that shared documents are
accessible as /documents, just to name one other example.

In the corporate environment where I currently work as a consultant,
it's actually quite common to use UNC paths instead, something that
admittedly surprised me alittle. For some reason, the administrators
have not put anything except the "home drive" on a static drive
letter, so things apparently don't always have to be done in the way
/you/ expect them to.

And, if that wasn't surprising enough, people can actually /remember/
that the product releases are located on \\SERVER\PRODUCT. Amazing,
isn't it?

Me, I never could learn which one of "N:" or "M:" in my previous
workplace meant documents and which one meant software installs. Since
I'm just alittle forgetful, I had an easier time remembering that
documents were found on the share "doc$" on the server "birka".

Your mileage may of course vary, but I still don't quite see how you
can argue that remembering random drive letters instead of descriptive
paths is somehow easier to learn.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 09:54:31 up 6 days,  7:36,  5 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.06