Re: Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right

On 2006-11-15, Sponge Worthy <linux-sux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Why is the linux file hierarchy better?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There are many articles around the web about the differences between
>> | the windows file hierarchy and the linux one. One thing they don't say
>> | is which one is better and why. My aim in this article is to show why
>> | the linux file hierarchy is a better model.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/why-is-the-linux-file-hierarchy-better-12916
>> http://tinyurl.com/ylm2ek
>

> If that tangle mess is how lienux got it right then I would hate to see
> what it mean to get it wrong.

	Putting user data with the application binaries.

	Sorting applications by vendor.

	Shoving everything into a single binary directory while having
		no method to split it appart in a seamless fashion.

	No simple way to allow configuration of exceptions.

	Making user apps dependent on being able to completly muck up
		the system files.

--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
	                                                         / | \