Re: [News] Speculation: Microsoft Will Sell Linux

__/ [ Ian Semmel ] on Monday 13 November 2006 20:57 \__

http://www.royans.net/rant/2006/11/13/microsoft-will-probably-start-sellingdistributing-linux-soon/

>> Microsoft already uses Linux 'in house'. SUSE could be its path to suing
>> (unsuccessfuly, of course) others without jeopardising itself (shooting
>> self in foot).
>
> The subject lines of these rss feed entries which you insist on cluttering
> up this newsgroup with should really be something like [Opinion of Royans K
> Tharakan] or whoever you are quoting.
>
> It is NOT news.

The subject line clearly says "Speculation". I happen to find it reasonable
given that Opensuse's mailing lists moves to @suse.com last week. I already
found sites like freesuse.com registered with ICANN. Cringley speculated
that Microsoft wants to graft i's applications and lay them atop a Linux
kernel. Wild guesses, but a lot can happen in a matter of years (the
Novell-MS commitment looks half a decade ahead). Think Oracle, Novell, SCO,
and Java (GPL). To use Red Hat's keyword, "Unthinkable". The Free software
world has been introduced with a lot of earth-shattering moves that are
disorientating and confusing. Now that Linux has gone mainstream (and even
won according to some respectable columnists) everything is possible. It's
licensed like the GPL that will most likely define and shape the future. See
some of the recent activity in Groklaw to see what I mean...

I am being more defensive (with regards to my point) rather than
authoritative. I typically just pass on the news as I see them and I do so
as soon as a blurb is spotted. Rumours grow into articles and press
releases, but it's worth staying ahead by looking at the microscale.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz - serving the Web for 9^-1000 millenia
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 130 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie