Re: Ballmer clueless, as usual

__/ [ RonB ] on Monday 13 November 2006 00:04 \__

> From an eWeek interview:
>
> "I suspect that [customers] will take that issue up with their
> distributor," Ballmer said. Or if customers are considering doing a
> direct download of a non-SUSE Linux version, "they'll think twice about
> that," he said.

FUD, FUD, FUD. How dare he?

> http://tinyurl.com/yy2xby
>
> Yeah, right. At work we've decided to experiment with Linux. Since I
> have some experience (I've successfully installed several versions of
> Linux at home) I'm the one who choses the distribution of Linux we'll
> use. I *had* suggested SUSE, until I saw they had signed the "patent
> deal" with MicroShaft. Today I downloaded Fedora 6.
>
> (Yep, I thought twice about it.)
>
> How can Ballmer be so clueless when he so desperately wants to attract
> Linux users? Doesn't he realize that bogus threats are the exact
> opposite of effective tactics in the Open Source market? And what's the
> deal with Utah? Two Utah companies take Microsoft's blood money,
> thereby destroying their own businesses. Something in the water? Bye,
> bye SUSE. You could have been a contender.

It sure looks like it, but the investors will be happy in the short term. I
hope you are right in assessing this the way you did, essentially suggesting
that Microsoft's move (approval) and Ballmer's FUD (implicit acknowledgement
that Linux is /downloaded/, not bought and thus shatters the 'market share'
argument/lie) will have the opposite and advisory effect.

SUSE's slash and boot screens are rather delineative: Simply Change, they
exclaim. I sure will do so myself on the next installation cycle. Within
hours/days, many SUSE/Novell supporters became their enemies and critics.
Well done, whoever made this deal.

SuSE lost me when Novell picked them up

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps it was an unfair prejudgement on my part, but when Novell
| picked up SuSE, I went on.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=205713&cid=16785773

Worst of all, look what MS and Novell did here (also Oracle perhaps). They
led to a backlash and a civil war in the Linux world. They turns us against
ourselves by taking over who used to be a fierce and highly competitive
rival.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
Cpu(s):  19.4% user,   2.6% system,   1.1% nice,  76.8% idle