Re: Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

  • Subject: Re: Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 06:20:30 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> 7 on Saturday:
>> Rex Ballard wrote:
>>
>>> Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35580
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> A DRAFT REPORT by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
>>> copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
>>> governments to their side.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Recently the Business Software Association claimed it had lost $361
>>> million a year to Australian pirates. Author of the report Alex Malik,
>>> seems to imply that these figures are being plucked out of thin air.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Malik added that either these statistics should be withdrawn or the
>>> purveyors of these statistics must supply valid and transparent
>>> substantiation. However it looks like the report is set to be watered
>>> down. Since the draft has been made public, the BSAA has had a hissy
>>> fit.
>>>
>>> Now Institute principal criminologist Russell Smith said the report was
>>> "an early draft" that was "being edited" by the agency.
>>> <quote>
>>

>> Western politicians are failing to involve government watchdogs to
>> investigate false statistics generated by RIAA and MPAA and other
>> similar industry interests bodies. But they are falling
>> over themselves to pass laws which are reliant on nobody checking
>> up on RIAA and MPAA and the like and their unverified bogus numbers.
>>
>> BWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
>
> I know another area (and company) where figures are regularly 'massaged'
> to affect government moves.
>
> A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
> | Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
> | ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
> | work.
> |
> | On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
> | Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
> | Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
> | the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
> | servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
> | deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12
>
> IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
> | soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
> | ingredient -- other operating systems.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34542
>

> Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
> disagrees with "flawed" conclusions
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The study, commissioned by the European Commission, Directorate
> | General Enterprise and Industry, is but a small part of the larger
> | FLOSSPOLS project that aims to keep the EU a leader in global
> | development of open source software.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Now, the ISC is widely regarded as a shill for Microsoft, although
> | the member list also includes companies like Intel, Autodesk, and
> | RSA Security (now an EMC subsidiary). The 300-strong member list is
> | mostly padded with lesser lights such as Yapi ve Kredi Bankasi(
> | Turkey), ThreeSixtyDegreez (Pakistan), and Datoprogrammu Apgads
> | (Latvia). The institute pushes hard for the right to patent
> | software, alongside regular bashings of open source businesses.
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061017-8011.html
>
> Among many more examples...

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually
come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the
State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military
consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to
use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy
of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the
State. â Joseph Goebbels, German Minister of Propaganda, 1933-1945

--
HPT