Re: Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

  • Subject: Re: Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:04:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 11 November 2006 20:40 \__

> Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>> Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35580
>>
>> <quote>
>> A DRAFT REPORT by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
>> copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
>> governments to their side.
>> </quote>
>>
>> <quote>
>> Recently the Business Software Association claimed it had lost $361
>> million a year to Australian pirates. Author of the report Alex Malik,
>> seems to imply that these figures are being plucked out of thin air.
>> </quote>
>>
>> <quote>
>> Malik added that either these statistics should be withdrawn or the
>> purveyors of these statistics must supply valid and transparent
>> substantiation. However it looks like the report is set to be watered
>> down. Since the draft has been made public, the BSAA has had a hissy
>> fit.
>>
>> Now Institute principal criminologist Russell Smith said the report was
>> "an early draft" that was "being edited" by the agency.
>> <quote>
>

> Western politicians are failing to involve government watchdogs to
> investigate false statistics generated by RIAA and MPAA and other
> similar industry interests bodies. But they are falling
> over themselves to pass laws which are reliant on nobody checking
> up on RIAA and MPAA and the like and their unverified bogus numbers.
>
> BWAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

I know another area (and company) where figures are regularly 'massaged' to
affect government moves.

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
disagrees with "flawed" conclusions

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, commissioned by the European Commission, Directorate
| General Enterprise and Industry, is but a small part of the larger
| FLOSSPOLS project that aims to keep the EU a leader in global
| development of open source software.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, the ISC is widely regarded as a shill for Microsoft, although
| the member list also includes companies like Intel, Autodesk, and
| RSA Security (now an EMC subsidiary). The 300-strong member list is
| mostly padded with lesser lights such as Yapi ve Kredi Bankasi(
| Turkey), ThreeSixtyDegreez (Pakistan), and Datoprogrammu Apgads
| (Latvia). The institute pushes hard for the right to patent
| software, alongside regular bashings of open source businesses.

Among many more examples...