Re: Vista adoption to outpace Windows XP, says paid bullshitter

  • Subject: Re: Vista adoption to outpace Windows XP, says paid bullshitter
  • From: Bucky Breeder <not.here.today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Nov 2006 18:17:23 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in news:ekn2vv$147f$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> responsiblegunowner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service, Singapore Bureau
>>
>> Adoption of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista operating system will
>> happen at a faster pace than any previous operating system release, a
>> software analyst predicted last week.
>>
>> Up to 15 percent of PC users will move to Vista within the first year
>> that the operating system is available, said David Mitchell, the
>> software practice leader at Ovum Ltd. "That would make it the
>> fastest-moving operating system ever," he said.
>>
>> By comparison, between 12 to 14 percent of users switched to Windows XP
>> during the first year of its release, Mitchell said.
>>
>> http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061127vista/index.html
>>
>> That has got planted story written all over it.
>
> It sounds more like a paid for sales pitch than a news article.  Perhaps
> another news service purchased by Gates philanthropy interests?

Yes, it does indeed! There is an exponential aspect to this whole computing
as a hobby thing as it becomes more implemented in more households around
the globe. The above rhetoric you cited sounds much like that which was
praising the E-machines and the e-Mail via television thangy-bobs of not
too long ago. Most of the people I know who have computers only send and
receive e-Mail, maybe do some shopping, or check the weather; then there's
an increasing contingent that are really into screensavers - collecting
them, building them, sharing them, etc.; then there's another strata that
are really into the chat rooms, not mIRC per se, but IRC perhaps confined
to 2 or 3 networks on a chat client. They never or rarely clean their temp
files, or scan their machines unless it's automatic, and it's "what's
defrag and do I have one?" I always say "Defrag is not a river in Egypt."

So Vista may be the eye-candy solution, like NT-2K-XP are the 4-wheel
drives, and Vista is the convertible 2 seater (and of course Linux is the
Abrams Tank - what sound does a penguin make when it's mad?) Something like
that sort of pattern, and the world is definately becoming more populated,
and the population is definately coming of age, and the age is definately
becoming more digital and connected... So, it's not much of a prophecy to
say Vista will sell more copies than ever before? Didn't we hear that with
Windows Me? Errgaah! I still get a little ruffled when I think about
that... I'm not mad at WinMe, I'm mad at me for getting one.

Oh well, can't wait for them to start posting in here via GoogleGroups when
the Vista craze starts snowballing.

Most people will never realize
that large pieces of coral,
which have been painted brown
and attached to the skull
by common wood screws,
can make children look just like reindeer.