Re: [News] Open Source Router (Cisco) Alternative

begin  oe_protect.scr
ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:58:01 +0000
>
>> Open-source networking doesn't require a guru
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open source router company Vyatta debuted earlier this year with a
>> | Red Hat-style alternative to Cisco and Juniper offerings: the Open
>> | Flexible Router, an open source-based WAN router and firewall stack,
>> | freely downloadable, with service and support offerings available
>> for  | purchase. Since then the company has generated buzz in the
>> network | industry, while releasing products such as a pre-installed
>> | appliance-like version on Dell servers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;141322315;fp;4194304;fpid;1
>
> that is a way old idea.
>
> freesco is one example. it runs from a floppy.
>
> but the problem is the hardware rather than the software, the i386
> hardware cannot compete with the offerings of the cisco network
> processing interface cards, many routing calculations are done before
> the packet gets to the cpu, and in some cases i think the packets dont
> get anywhere near the cpu.
>
> nice project, but been done, and hardware limitations means it cannot be
> as good as a cisco/junpier box. for most companies without 10gbit-e
> lines this is not a problem and opteron boxes with GOOD hardware
> ethernet cards can probably suffice.

Yeah, but if you look at combining this capability with a top-end
network processing card, then you're getting somewhere.  Somethink like
Cloudshield, say?

QOTD:
	How can I miss you if you won't go away?