Re: [News] An Open Source Platform for Europe?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:25 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> One4EU - promoting opensource using proprietary software platform??
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| How strange... the new platform the EU wants to launch to promote
>>| opensource software is going to be essentially made of
>>| proprietary software!!!
>> `----
>>
>> http://technocrat.net/d/2006/11/28/11465
>
> Fi Fie Fo Fum,
> I smell the blood of a Redmondium.

Imagine businesses and universities across Europe working on a platform
/together/, for the betterment of all, as well as the benefit to themselves.
It only makes perfect sense to collaborate. It helps the local economy and
reputation too.

Who wouldn't enjoy security, stability and functionality, which require peer
review and refinements? Code can have the freedom which makes it replicable.
Who is it that forbade distribution of code as though it was a pair of
shoes? Who's the selfish man? It's like banning the use of the wheel, or the
use of language. I think that computer science was derailed off its natural
and most reasonable course through legislation, FUD, etc.

The most beautiful thing about Open Source development, esp. choice, forks,
and diversity is that it leads to a Darwinian path wherein the best solution
will survive and receive the most support. As Red Hat indicate in their
video, simple components built complex systems. Weak components perish, only
to be replaces by something that's required by all and proved its value.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 121 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie