Re: [News] German Linux Trade Group Denounces Microsoft FUD

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 16:51 Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> B Gruff wrote:
> [...]
>> Presumably putting it into American, it would read "Put up
>
> That wouldn't be that hard, I suppose. Consider "plain vanilla kernel"
> alone...
>
> RMS:
>
> "Two years ago, a thorough study found that the kernel Linux infringed
> 283 different software patents, and that's just in the US. Of course, by
> now the number is probably different and might be higher."
>
> http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/tokyo-rms-transcript
>
> OSRM:
>
> "OSRM claims that a third of the 283 issued patents are held by Linux-
> friendly corporations like Cisco, HP, IBM, Intel, Novell, Oracle, Red
> Hat and Sony. The others are held by groups that may not be as friendly
> to Linux, such as Microsoft. Ravicher identified Microsoft as the holder
> of 27 of the patents"
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3389071

Yes, but there was also this bit, of course:-

"OSRM's new patent insurance products are targeted at protecting users with
comprehensive policies that protect against what Ravicher believes to be
the biggest problem with the 283 patents"

Tell me, are software patents valid in Germany?