Re: [News] Linux Tools (GUI's) Simplify Move to Open Standards

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 26 November 2006 08:40 \__

http://andutt.blogspot.com/2006/11/convert-your-multimedia-archive-to-open.html

> "copyright patents" ?  I think someone needs to do a tiny bit more
> research.  I know that the frauenhofer institute have been trying to
> claim royalities from MP3 player suppliers;  not sure just how
> successful they've been.
>
> If you want to be sure, of course, the OGG is the way to go.

Like you've just said elsewhere, there's no such thing as intellectual
/property/. It only exists in the minds of greedy monopolies. It's like
Digital /Rights/ management or /Trusted/ Computing . If you repeat it
frequently enough, people will believe it. In fact, DRM is now being
incorporated into laws, e.g.:

,----[ Quote ]
| "A source that deals with the company said unofficially that Gates
| proposed Microsoft's Digital Rights Management technology as a national
| standard to fight piracy at the governmental level."
`----

http://www.kommersant.com/p719683/r_528/

FWIW, an MP3 player maker got sued for the use (support) of the MP3 format.
Madness, eh? Pay royalties or deliver a media player that people will say is
a 'brick'. WVA/WMV is a similar trap. Only Novell/SUSE, I suspect, received
gains from a RealNetworks/Microsoft settlement that will soon permit Real
Player to play WVA/WMV 'out of the box'. And y'all know what has happened to
Novell/SUSE since that agreement that was made 2-3 months ago... Would
anybody expect the Zune to support Ogg Vorbis? Even standards are perceived
as a competing format. Windows Movie Maker, for example, saves files as WMV
in order to promote proprietary formats and 'punish' non-Windows users.

Finally, lo and behold (again):

Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
| stations will be received automatically for users
| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.

Context:

BBC Looks To Microsoft For Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| However, you don't sign deals or commitments if you're a quasi-autonomous
| Public Corporation operating as a public service broadcaster, as the BBC
| is. BBC Director General Mark Thompson met Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
| in Seattle on Wednesday to sign the non-exclusive memorandum of
| understanding and discuss the BBC's digital strategy.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/28/bbc-microsoft-internet-cx_cn_0928bbc.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/j5pn7

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
  9:20am  up 38 days 19:34,  9 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.84, 0.85