Re: Novell and the Microsoft Deal

  • Subject: Re: Novell and the Microsoft Deal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:01:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 26 November 2006 09:31 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Here's Novell's side of the story
>>
>> Open Letter to the Community from Novell
>> http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/community_open_letter.html
>><quote>
>> On November 2, Novell and Microsoft announced a significant, multi-part
>> agreement to work together to improve the interoperability between
>> Linux and Windows and for Microsoft to redistribute more than 350,000
>> subscriptions for SUSE Linux Enterprise to the Windows customer base
>> over a five-year period.
>
> hahaha!  Do the Novell board really believe that this will happen?  No,
> of course they don't.  What they've done is got $260mio into the coffers
> of Novell inc., which will ensure that the board members get to trouser
> a really good bonus this year.  I suggest that everyone looks out for
> the bonuses of Novell board members this year, and perhaps next year,
> indeed, over this full five-year period, as the real story will emerge
> at that point.

Nail. Head.

Novell Hikes Execs' Pay

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&CIK=0001085621&owner=only

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/fetchFilingFrameset.aspx?dcn=0000758004-06-000079&Type=HTML
>><quote>
>> Item 5.02 Departure of Directors or Principal Officers; Election of
>> Directors; Appointment of Principal Officers.
>> On September 8, 2006, Jack Messman notified the Board of Directors of
>> Novell, Inc. that he would be resigning from the Board of Directors
>> effective September 11, 2006.
>></quote>
>>
>> For those who don't remember, Jack Messman was there since the very
>> beginning of Novell.
>> If he bailed out, it could be a sign of mischief.
>>
>> A few other little board changes:
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/e/060622/novl8-k.html
>>
>> Looks like Microsoft packed the board and locked up the proxies before
>> their big deal.
>> Which explains why Novell would make a deal that is a total loser and
>> they knew
>>  would just piss off the Linux contributor community, and the user
>> community.

I fully agree. I usually leave your posts unread until I read them at
lunchtime. Always insightful!