Re: [News] Google Shuts Down Open Source Project

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Google has sent a cease and desist.
>
> gaia - opensource 3D interface to the planet
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Meet gaia, an attempt to reverse engineer famous Google Earth and
>| implement its functionality in open, portable, customizable and
>| extendable way.
>|
>| 25 November 2006, we've got the letter from Michael Jones, the
>| Chief Technologist of Google Earth, Google Maps, and Google Local
>| search, requesting us to cease reverse engineering and improper
>| usage of licensed data that Google Earth use. We understand and
>| respect Google's position on the case, so we've removed all
>| downloads from this page and we ask everybody who have ever
>| downloaded gaia 0.1.0 and prior versions to delete all filesc
>| oncerned with the project, which include source code, binary
>| files and image cache (~/.gaia).
>|
>| The project may continue it's life as opensource 3D earth
>| viewer with GPS support, but without support Google Earth
>| imagery. We are sorry.
> `----
>
> http://gaia.serezhkin.com/index.html

I didn't think that reverse engineering was wrong?  I don't believe that
it is here, anyway.  The only bit to be concerned about would be if
google had paid money for a map of somewhere with a restrictive usage
licence?

Penalty for private use.