Re: [News] PS3 Runs PC Games, via GNU/Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Friday 24 November 2006 14:49 Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Quake 3 Arena on PS3 via Fedora! (with photo)
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://ps3.qj.net/Quake-3-Arena-on-PS3-via-Fedora-/pg/49/aid/73945
>>>
>>> Seems like this guy sorted out the resolution, but not hardware
>>> acceleration. The official PS3 distro (YDL) is not out yet.
>>
>> Hehe - that will be supercool!
>
> Steady on now - I'm having difficulty in keeping up with this....
> You seem to be telling me that:-
>
> - the PS3 is a highly-specced games console
>
> - it comes with Linux, can run other distros of Linux, and in particular,
> YDL is about to come out
>
> - this is A Good Thing, in that anybody who buys a PS3 gets a
> fully-functional Linux box as well.
>
> So far so good, but now you seem to be telling me that the Linux that PS3
> runs can also be used to run Linux games.  Doesn't this mean that:-
>
> - this will make the PS3 even more popular?
>
> - this will encourage people to write (more) Linux games?
>
> - where does Sony come into this?  My understanding is that Sony (like MS
> and XBOX) actually sell the PS3 at a loss, a bit like printers and printer
> refills, hoping to make their profit on the games?
>
> I don't really see how Sony makes that profit.  Is there a "tax" or
> something on a game distributed by a third party for the PS3 (and for the
> XBOX)?

I think Sony are selling this in the standard production volumes
economics environment.  When they sell so many millions, they've
recouped their development costs.  When they sell so many more, they've
broken even;  and sometime after that, they start to make a profit.

> If so, how do they (Sony/MS) collect?

I think MS might've got their sums wrong, probably because they were
expecting to sell far more xboxes than they did.

> If not, how do they (Sony/MS) make that profit?
>
> How would this apply to Linux games on the PS3?
>
> If not, we seem to have here a philanthropic organisation in Japan(?)
> selling consoles to us at a loss to convert into (to use as) computers to
> run our own S/W and games...... and I can't imagine that that was Sony's
> intention?

Sony have been doing this kind of thing for much longer than Microsoft,
in fact, the Xbox is Microsoft's first attempt at a volume consumer
device (mice don't really count here).  For a company like Sony, a large
proportion of what they develop will fail, they know this, but they rely
on a certain proportion being successful.

Love means nothing to a tennis player.