Re: [News] PS3 Runs PC Games, via GNU/Linux

B Gruff wrote:
On Friday 24 November 2006 14:49 Mark Kent wrote:

begin  oe_protect.scr
Quake 3 Arena on PS3 via Fedora! (with photo)

,----[ Quote ]
| All you PS3 owners struggling to find a game worthy of your enjoyment
| on your new console may have been looking in the wrong direction the
| entire time! Stop looking on the retail shelves and start looking at
| what you have now - a PS3 and a computer.
`----

http://ps3.qj.net/Quake-3-Arena-on-PS3-via-Fedora-/pg/49/aid/73945

Seems like this guy sorted out the resolution, but not hardware
acceleration. The official PS3 distro (YDL) is not out yet.
Hehe - that will be supercool!

Steady on now - I'm having difficulty in keeping up with this.... You seem to be telling me that:-

- the PS3 is a highly-specced games console

- it comes with Linux, can run other distros of Linux, and in particular,
YDL is about to come out

- this is A Good Thing, in that anybody who buys a PS3 gets a
fully-functional Linux box as well.

So far so good, but now you seem to be telling me that the Linux that PS3
runs can also be used to run Linux games.  Doesn't this mean that:-

- this will make the PS3 even more popular?

- this will encourage people to write (more) Linux games?

- where does Sony come into this?  My understanding is that Sony (like MS
and XBOX) actually sell the PS3 at a loss, a bit like printers and printer
refills, hoping to make their profit on the games?

I don't really see how Sony makes that profit.  Is there a "tax" or
something on a game distributed by a third party for the PS3 (and for the
XBOX)?

If so, how do they (Sony/MS) collect?

If not, how do they (Sony/MS) make that profit?

How would this apply to Linux games on the PS3?

If not, we seem to have here a philanthropic organisation in Japan(?)
selling consoles to us at a loss to convert into (to use as) computers to
run our own S/W and games...... and I can't imagine that that was Sony's
intention?

The way I see it, Sony is reaching out to people who don't normally bother with consoles. They've got the console side for those interested in it, but they also have the Linux/computer side to bring in those who are interested in, for example, a media centre or a living-room compatible computer.

I think that the PS3 will be produced at a loss for a while, but there is a break even point, traditionally this has been higher than the total units sold for console systems. Sony seem to be banking on selling additional units to other sectors to reach this break even point before saturating the (now expanded) market.