Re: [News] The "Free Stuff" is Better Than Proprietary Tech

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Why open source is ready for the enterprise: beyond free stuff
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open source is certainly hot among the tech community, but if you
>| mention the concept to IT leaders in the enterprise environment,
>| they tend to immediately cringe. The inference being that "free
>| stuff" can't possibly match the quality of products you pay for
>| -- and the "DIY approach" is not manageable or secure enough for
>| large enterprises. This kind of rash write-off plainly misses
>| the mark!
> `----
>
> http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=8034
>
> My mom phoned me this morning. She is always skeptical when it comes to "free
> stuff", whether it's 'hard' (physical) or 'soft'. People just can't get
> beyond the mental barrier and cost anomalies which technology introduces.
> Her computer is infected and just ground to a halt, only a couple of months
> after the last time it had been 'cleaned' (read: reinstalled from scratch).
> She again insists on buying a new computer to resolve the problem. I
> explained to her that it's like a smelly guy replacing his smelly car with a
> new, bigger car (which will soon 'inherit' the same smell) instead of just
> taking a shower.

Perhaps you could make her an Ubuntu ISO, but put whatever defaults are
required in the ISO, so it just comes straight up?  You could set it up
with a small partition on her hdd for /home/, and she'd be able to use
that instead of trying to keep Windows going?

What will you do if all your problems aren't solved by the time you die?