[News] The "Free Stuff" is Better Than Proprietary Tech

Why open source is ready for the enterprise: beyond free stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is certainly hot among the tech community, but if you
| mention the concept to IT leaders in the enterprise environment,
| they tend to immediately cringe. The inference being that "free
| stuff" can't possibly match the quality of products you pay for
| -- and the "DIY approach" is not manageable or secure enough for
| large enterprises. This kind of rash write-off plainly misses
| the mark!
`----

http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=8034

My mom phoned me this morning. She is always skeptical when it comes to "free
stuff", whether it's 'hard' (physical) or 'soft'. People just can't get
beyond the mental barrier and cost anomalies which technology introduces.
Her computer is infected and just ground to a halt, only a couple of months
after the last time it had been 'cleaned' (read: reinstalled from scratch).
She again insists on buying a new computer to resolve the problem. I
explained to her that it's like a smelly guy replacing his smelly car with a
new, bigger car (which will soon 'inherit' the same smell) instead of just
taking a shower.