Re: [News] Red Hat Rejects Mono (.Net)

__/ [ Andrea ] on Wednesday 22 November 2006 14:02 \__

> yttrx wrote:
>> Andrea <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Seems like a paranoia.
>>>

>> Yeah?
>>
>> Microsoft:  "if you use our stuff without paying a licensing fee, we'll
>> sue you"
>>
>> Redhat:  "so wait, mono is yours and has a licensing fee?"
>>
>> Microsoft:  "Yup"
>>
>> Redhat:  "see ya"
>>
>> Whats hard to understand?
>>

> I may claim that moon is made from swiss cheesee - which does not
> necessary involve that it is... so, Microsoft must prove, that using
> mono (which is NOT .Net, although is compatible with it) requires paying
> a fee. As for this moment, there is no proof.

I think that aniother important factor is the fact that Microsoft controls
the standard, which means that it can alter it to hurt the rivals. Look, for
example, how HTML was corrupted to make it impossible for other browser to
render content properly, let alone access it (e.g. ActiveX).

For the same reasons, Microsoft tries to replace Flash and PDF. For the same
reasons, Microsoft has a partnership with XenSource and Zend. It even
collaborated with Mozilla. It's all about making some program or standard
more appealing to users of your own platform (product). SUSE is yet another
case of penetration into Open Source territories.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
Swap:  1036184k total,   520656k used,   515528k free,    41292k cached